Tips for college applicants
We are so excited to welcome you to Campus Convo! We’re here not only to make the college search process easier, but also to help you get the best result possible: finding the perfect fit for you.
This time is yours, so feel free to use the 30 minutes however you’d like. We’ve seen lots of success with the following agenda, but again, no pressure to use this!
- Start off with a few minutes of introductions.
- Next, highlight the parts of the college experience you’re interested in learning more about; what matters most to you?
- Then, use the remainder of the time to ask (pretty much) any other questions you have!
If you’d like some inspiration, we’ve listed a bunch of potential questions at the bottom of the page. And you can certainly ask questions that we don’t list, just please always make sure you’re keeping the conversation appropriate.
Here are a few other tips for making it a successful conversation:
- Relax and have fun: Remember, the college student isn’t an official representative of the school, and this isn’t linked to your admissions chances at all. There’s zero pressure or need to impress anyone, and this time there’s actually no such thing as a stupid question. You can relax and be yourself!
- Be on time: You’re paying for the time, so get the most out of it. And please also be respectful of the 30 minute meeting time. If the college student is fine with going a bit over time, that’s great, but please don’t have any expectation of this; they have a busy schedule!
- Keep the conversation appropriate: Like we said above, please keep things appropriate! See our community guidelines here.
- Leave a review afterwards: We’re a new platform, and reviews are critical. Good reviews help the college students get more business. Please keep in mind you’re only reviewing the college student, not Campus Convo as a whole. If you have feedback for us as a platform, please contact us. Thanks in advance for your help!
- Talk to more students, and refer your friends: Use your referral code to invite your friends to use Campus Convo as well. This gets you future conversations at a discount! We recommend you talk to at least 2-3 students from each of the schools you’re serious about to get a great sense of the student experience.
And finally, as promised, some suggestions for questions to ask:
You can start off with some of the basics.
- Why did you decide to come here?
- How satisfied are you with your overall college experience?
- What is your favorite/least favorite thing about your college?
- What was your admissions experience like?
- How easy do students find it to work with the financial aid office? (Note: financial aid can be a very sensitive topic; please don’t ask anything too personal)
Ask about the academics and career services.
- How have you liked the classes in the [X] department?
- What has been your favorite class?
- What are the professors like?
- Can you usually get your first choice of classes?
- How big of a workload do you have?
- What are classes like? Collaborative or competitive? Lecture-based or discussion-based?
- Is study abroad available and if so, how popular is it?
- What sorts of academic resources are there on campus?
- Are career planning and support resources available?
- Are internships common or popular?
- Do many employers recruit on campus?
- What types of jobs do a lot of the graduating seniors at school seem to get?
There is no question too big or too small! Ask about the campus experience.
- What is/was Freshman year like?
- What is a typical day for you and your friends?
- What activities do you do when you are not in class?
- What are weekends like?
- How is the social scene?
- Do you go off campus often? If so, what is the town/city like?
- What is your favorite spot on campus?
- How are the on-campus facilities?
- How is the food?
- How popular are sports? Can/do students go to games often? Can parents get tickets?
- Which student organizations and clubs are big on campus?
- What sorts of programs does the school have for parents?
Get to know more about where you would potentially be living and who you will be living with.
- How are the dorms?
- Do most students live on-campus?
- What is off-campus living like?
- How does roommate & housing selection work?
- Do sororities/fraternities have housing?
- What makes the student body unique?
- Where are most of the students from?
- How diverse are the backgrounds of the student body?
- How welcoming and open does the student body feel?
And make sure to ask about COVID as well!
- How has the school been handling COVID-19?
- What are the school’s policies? How strictly are they being enforced?
- How accessible are health services on campus?
- How has COVID affected daily life and the social scene?
- Is it easy to meet new people?
- How has it affected classes and the quality of the education?
Thanks again for using Campus Convo! We’re confident we can be a huge help in your college application process. If you have any other questions, you can find our FAQ here or feel free to contact us. Best of luck!